Eligibility Requirements for American Legion Membership
If you are currently on active duty, serving the United States honorably, anywhere in the world, or have served honorably during any of the following eligible war eras, we invite you to become a member of The American Legion. National Guard and Reservists having been Federally activated (including basic training) during these same war eras also meet the eligibility requirements.
- April 6, 1917 to November 11, 1918 (World War I)
- December 7, 1941 to December 31, 1946 (World War II)
- June 25, 1950 to January 31, 1955 (Korean War)
- February 28, 1961 to May 7, 1975 (Vietnam War)
- August 24, 1982 to July 31, 1984 (Lebanon/Grenada)
- December 20, 1989 to January 31, 1990 (Panama)
- August 2, 1990 to Today (Gulf War/War on Terrorism)
If you served in the Armed Forces of the United States during any period and are unsure of your American Legion eligibility, contact us or fill out the form here.